Public policy research and working papers
2017. Evan A. Laksmana, "ASEAN centrality in the South China Sea", in Southeast Asian Perspectives on US-China Competition, ed. Aaron Connelly (Lowy Institute for International Policy and Council on Foreign Relations)
2014. Evan A. Laksmana, “Indonesia’s strategic thinking: breaking out of its shell?“, in Regional Security Outlook 2015, ed. Ron Huisken (Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia Pacific), pp. 35 -38
2011. Evan A. Laksmana, “Stirring from Beyond the Borders? American Military Assistance and Defense Reform in Indonesia,” Asia Centre Southeast Asia Observatory Study. (*Reviewed and recommended by Australia Strategic Policy Institute’s The Strategist)
2011. Evan A. Laksmana, “The Indonesian Military and Disaster Relief: Potential Pitfall and Challenges,” in Issues in Human Security in Asia, ed. Yang Razali Kassim Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies and RSIS, pp.25-27 (Available here)
2010. Evan A. Laksmana, “Dari Reformasi Militer Menuju Transformasi Pertahanan: Tantangan dan Prospek ke Depan“, [From Military Reform to Defense Transformation: Prospects and Challenges Ahead], Indonesian Review, Vol. 1: pp. 1 – 12
2009. Evan A. Laksmana, “Molding a Strategic and Professional Indonesian Military: Policy Options for the Next Administration”, The Indonesian Quarterly, Vol. 37, No. 3 (August): pp. 352-363
2009. Evan A. Laksmana, “The Preponderance of Geography: Revisiting American Grand Strategy in Asia,” Working Paper No. 1 (Bangkok: American Studies Program, Institute of Security and International Studies, Chulalongkorn University)
2008. Evan A. Laksmana, “Spoilers, Partners, and Pawns: Military Organizational Behaviour and Civil-Military Relations in Indonesia,” RSIS Working Paper No. 161 (Singapore: S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies)
Newspaper op-eds and commentaries
Defense and military Policy
- Strategi diplomasi pertahanan maritim, Kompas, October 20, 2016
- Pola Mutasi Perwira TNI, Kompas, August 6, 2016
- Politik sejarah militer, Kompas, August 4, 2016
- TNI dan Penanggulangan Terorisme, Kompas, March 19, 2016
- Paradoks pada Industri Pertahanan, Kompas, February 17, 2016
- Time to move on from military reform, (part 2 of 2), The Jakarta Post, September 16, 201
- From military reform to defense transformation, (part 1 of 2), The Jakarta Post, September 15, 2014
- Beyond defense modernization, The Jakarta Post, June 11, 2014
- The ‘strategic trinity’ of national defense, The Jakarta Post, February 2, 2012.
- Re-engagement with Kopassus, The Jakarta Post, July 28, 2010
- Reinterpreting the Total Defense System. The Jakarta Post, May 19, 2010.
- Defense and leaders transformation.The Jakarta Post, May 12, 2010.
- Military postings are now less political. The Straits Times, February 1, 2010.
- The missing nuts and bolts of defense reforms.” The Jakarta Post, January 27, 2010
- Defense reforms for 2010-14: Men over materiel?. The Jakarta Post, January 3, 2010
- Indonesia’s defence outlook: Rocky road to renewal.”Today, December 5, 2009
- Democratization and the ‘remilitarization’ of the TNI. The Jakarta Post, October 20, 2009
- Gearing for ‘three-block war’. The Jakarta Post, October 9, 2009
- Terrorism and RI’s military effectiveness. The Jakarta Post, September 7, 2009
- Will the State Secrecy Bill suffocate the military?” The Jakarta Post, August 27, 2009
- Politicizing military history: A monumental mistake. The Jakarta Post, March 12, 2009
- Reform recruitment policy to aid RI’s military budget, The Jakarta Post, December 9, 2008
- Indonesian Military returns to politics? The Jakarta Post, August 12, 2008
- Reforming Indonesia’s Military: Going beyond Cash, Guns, and Ballots,” The Straits Times, May 9, 2008.
- Reprinted in The Jakarta Post, May 12, 2008
Foreign policy and regional security
- Timor-Leste, Australia, and Asia's contested maritime order, The Jakarta Post, September 22, 2017
- Reprinted in The Straits Times, September 23, 2017
- Boost ASEAN's own security web, The Jakarta Post, August 8, 2017
- Foreign policy implications of Jakarta's election, The Jakarta Post, June 7, 2017
- Should Indonesia and Australia jointly patrol the South China Sea?, The Jakarta Post, March 13, 2017
- In Indo-Pacific strategic flux, where is Indonesia?, The Jakarta Post, February 27, 2017
- Should Washington rearm Southeast Asia against China?, The Jakarta Post, February 8, 2017
- Indonesia-Australia relations and the perils of success, The Jakarta Post, January 30, 2017
- How Washington can restore strategic reassurance in Asia, The Jakarta Post, December 6, 2016
- Will a trump presidency be disastrous for Indonesia?, The Jakarta Post, November 14, 2016
- How do we know a successful foreign policy when we see one?, The Jakarta Post, October 25, 2016
- How do we engage a hegemonic China?, The Jakarta Post, October 12, 2016
- Reprinted by The Straits Times.
- Can there be ASEAN centrality without unity?, The Jakarta Post, September 6, 2016
- Reprinted by Dawn.
- Why international law cannot rule over the South China Sea, The Jakarta Post, July 25, 2016
- Is Indonesia militarising the South China Sea?, The Jakarta Post, July 11, 2016
- A post-non-claimant South China Sea policy, The Jakarta Post, June 20, 2016
- Strategi politik luar negeri menghadapi NIIS, Kompas, January 20, 2016
- Perubahan arus lingkungan strategis Indonesia, Kompas, December 9, 2015
- Sketching out a future ASEAN-NATO partnership,” The Jakarta Post, July 26, 2011
- Climate change can strain region’s security, The Straits Times, December 16, 2010
- Is China failing SE Asia’s test?, The Jakarta Post, June 7, 2010
- RI’s changing geo-strategic currents. The Jakarta Post, January 9, 2010
- Asia’s ‘Holy Grail’ of regional architecture.” The Jakarta Post, March 31, 2010.
- Reprinted in China Post (5 April 2010) and The Brunei Times (3 April 2010)
Published policy reports
2010. Evan A. Laksmana and Rizal Sukma, “The Quest for the “Middle Way”: Indonesian Perspectives on Current Developments in Myanmar,” in Current Realities and Future Possibilities in Burma/Myanmar: Perspectives from Asia, Task Force on U.S. Policy toward Burma/ Myanmar (New York: The Asia Society)
2010. Evan A. Laksmana and Hadi Soesastro, “Indonesia” in Does Fairness Matter?, ed. Hakan Altinay, Global Economy and Development Working Paper, No. 40 (Washington: Brookings Institution), pp. 17-19
2008. Evan A. Laksmana and Leonard C. Sebastian (editors), The Future of Indonesia beyond 2014, RSIS Conference Report (Singapore: S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies)
- Why Indonesia’s new map is not (all) about the South China Sea, The Strategist (Australian Strategic Policy Institute), August 1, 2017
- ASEAN and the mud on the US–China strategic lens, The Strategist (Australian Strategic Policy Institute),May 9, 2017
- The (maritime) recalibration of Indonesia-Australia defence relations, The Strategist (Australian Strategic Policy Institute), March 23, 2017
- Indonesian Sea Policy: Accelerating Jokowi's Global Maritime Fulcrum?, Asia Maritime Transparency Initiative (CSIS Washington), March 23, 2017
- A growing strategic impasse in the Indo-Pacific?, IISS Shangri-La Voices, July 8, 2016
- Here's why Jakarta doesn't push back when China barges into Indonesian waters, Washington Post's Monkey Cage, April 28, 2016
- Jakarta left all at sea by island clash with China, New Mandala, April 5, 2016
- The domestic politics of Jakarta's South China Sea policy, The Interpreter, April 1, 2016
- Indonesia’s modernizing military, Foreign Affairs, September 3, 2015
- A way forward for Indonesia-Australia relations, The Interpreter, May 28, 2105
- Indonesia’s new president can deepen cooperation with United States and Europe, GMF Transatlantic Take, August 15, 2014.
- The Hidden Challenges of Indonesia’s Defence Modernization, Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) Newsbrief, Vol. 34, No. 3 (May 2014): pp. 17-19
- Why there is no new ‘maritime dispute’ between Indonesia and China, The Strategist: Australia Strategic Policy Institute Blog, April 4, 2014.
- L’avenir du paysage stratégique sud-est asiatique, [The Future of Southeast Asia’s Strategic Landscape], Les Grands Dossiers de Diplomatie No. 9 (June-July 2012): pp. 86 – 87
- Indonesia’s Troubles,” The Wilson Quarterly, Vol. 35, No. 2 (2011): p. 11
- Jakarta Eyes the South China Sea,”The Diplomat, 23 February 2011
- Thinking beyond Kopassus: Why U.S. Security Assistance to Indonesia Needs Recalibrating, East-West Center Asia Pacific Bulletin, 17 September 2010
- The Indonesian Defence Forces: Strategic Changes and Implications. RSIS Commentary, 29 August. Reprinted in The Jakarta Post, 1 September 2010
- Resurrecting the National Corvette Program?, Asia Pacific Defence Reporter, Vol. 36, No. 4 (May 2010): pp. 26-28.
- U.S., Indonesia must avoid false promises and pitfalls. World Politics Review, 26 March 2010
- The curious case of Indonesia’s “democracy”, Foreign Policy, 6 December 2009 (“The Dispatch” and “Argument” sections)
- Post-Suharto Indonesia: Can a Military Coup Happen?” RSIS Commentary 120, 19 November 2008